I promised in our welcome message to explain the significance of the 16 people pictured in the banner at the top of our blog. It’s very simple – there are 16 types of people, 4 of each Temperament in Keirsey Temperament Theory. Each of the people in the banner represents one of the 16 types.
Before jumping to the rest of the article, can you determine which type is represented by each of the 16 people?
Before matching each person to their type, it should be easier to match them to their temperament. Recall the descriptions of each of the 4 temperaments:
- Guardians speak mostly of their duties and responsibilities, of what they can keep an eye on and take good care of, and they’re careful to obey the laws, follow the rules, and respect the rights of others.
- Idealists speak mostly of what they hope for and imagine might be possible for people, and they want to act in good conscience, always trying to reach their goals without compromising their personal code of ethics.
- Artisans speak mostly about what they see right in front of them, about what they can get their hands on, and they will do whatever works, whatever gives them a quick, effective payoff, even if they have to bend the rules.
- Rationals speak mostly of what new problems intrigue them and what new solutions they envision, and always pragmatic, they act as efficiently as possible to achieve their objectives, ignoring arbitrary rules and conventions if need be.
With those definitions in mind, each quartet should be easy to place:
- George Washington: Supervisor (ESTJ)
- Queen Elizabeth II: Inspector (ISTJ)
- Dave Thomas: Provider (ESFJ)
- Mother Teresa: Protector (ISFJ)
- Donald Trump: Promoter (ESTP)
- Michael Jordan: Crafter (ISTP)
- Marilyn Monroe: Performer (ESFP)
- Cher: Composer (ISFP)
- Oprah Winfrey: Teacher (ENFJ)
- Mohandas Gandhi: Counselor (INFJ)
- Nelson Mandela: Champion (ENFP)
- Princess Diana: Healer (INFP)
- Hillary Clinton: Fieldmarshal (ENTJ)
- Stephen Hawking: Mastermind (INTJ)
- Abraham Lincoln: Inventor (ENTP)
- Albert Einstein: Architect (INTP)
For short video portraits of each of the 4 Temperaments (brief segments taken from the DVD Please Understand Me, click here.